I have these $1 Store Lanterns and one of them had an accident and the glass broke. I decided this might make a great prison. Using the metallic distress paints to ink it up takes this boring black and gives it a whole new grunge look!
Distress Paints are permanent and are perfect for this metal lantern. You can use a little hand sanitizer to rub of the paint to further that worn look. Go over again with peeled paint randomly.
You can heat set the paint. Cut the Jack O Lantern die with grungeboard and ink with distress paint ripe persimmon.
For the back of the Jack O Lanterns I cut some acetate, applied glue n seal, once dry add clear rock candy crackle distress paint to crackle. I added some jump rings to the skeleton for "chains" then strung him up in the lantern using hot glue. Once the Jacks are dry sand the edges.
To intensify the colour use distress ink ripe persimmon then add ground espresso for the edges. dump some clear rock candy distress crackle paint onto the craft mat and drag. By doing this you get a thick layer for creating big cracks.
I cut and inked "31" from the alpha parts set. While that dries it's time for some leaves. I cut the layered leaf and tattered leaves on watercolor paper. Then I had an idea...use the layered leaf folder for the tattered leaves to get that veining! BRILLIANT!
Check it out... they look awesome. Time for some colour...distress paints ripe persimmon, fossilized amber and twisted citron and spritz with water. Drag the leaves through then spritz them with water to blend.
You can heat dry. You can again intensify that colour by using the matching distress inks. I did the edges with ground espresso distress ink. Use ground espresso distress marker and distress spritzer tool to make it more realistic. Coat with clear rock candy distress crackle paint.
Look how bold they are! OK time to add more leaves with the Fall Foliage Thinlits. These teeny versions are a perfect fit with the Jack O Lantern! The acetate is dry so trim it up, attach and grab the alochol inks. I attached the crackle facing up so it could seep into the cracks.
You want that crackle to show off so you need to add some ink. I used Teak Wood Alcohol Ink. For some added interest I stamped from the Undertaker Stampers Anonymous stamp set. I stamped on my new favorite paper from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies, heat set and trim. I changed my mind on the spider and stamped on the clear acetate. Much better.
I added some moss at the bottom.
Look how cool those leaves look especially with the ground espresso spritzer.
The 31 is attached at the top.
Much better cone on the clear. Creepy!
I attached the bigger Jack on the top.
Check out how cool it is all crackled and inked. The min fall foliage cuts are prefect.
the ball and chains are holding him in place. Even the hot glue looks ghoulish!
If he had skin I bet he wouldn't be smiling!
I cut the Halloween sign out and inked with distress inks ripe persimmon, fossilized amber and twisted citron. My daughter suggested it needed a crow. I cut the movers and shapers crow, inked with distress paint black soot and black soot added distress glitter.
I think my Jacks are mocking!
A great shot of the distressed lantern. This Imprisoned Luminary looks like it's been outside for centuries.
Before you through something out see if you can's create with it first. I took this broken $3 lantern and turned it into a fun Halloween Decor project.
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and you can apply these techniques to any project you create. Thanks for checking my project out.
I like to share as I create this stuff. If you want to see click to join.
Frilly and Funkie- Autumn Slendor
Anything But Cute- "31" Days of Halloween