Skip to main content

Featured Post

Scrap your Summer

Join me on the Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog for a Scrapbook Layout...?  Oh yeah... I went all scrappy for this post.  I am sharing my NEW about to release TINBIT TRAVELS Collection with Wild Whisper!    Swing by the    Creative Scrapbooker Magazine Blog  for a full tutorial!   PIN IT   EAT. SLEEP. CRAFT. {repeat}

My First Canvas



Sympathy Canvas
 
Sometimes a Sympathy card just doesn't seem like enough.  At least that's how it was for me when my Grandmother passed a couple weeks ago.  I felt like I needed to do more for my Mom now that both of her parents are gone.  Instead of planning my trip home to say my final good-bye's, I was  planning this.  I really had to put myself in a different place to create this with my box of tissues at hand.  I spent all my summers with my Grandma, just the 2 of us.  Although she was hard to get along with she was my grand and I loved her. 
 
I found this 12x12 canvas at my LSS.  I felt I wanted to do a canvas but having never made one I didn't know where to go once I had the canvas.  But then I saw the new TH Distressed Doily die and it all kinda fell into place.


I started with my favorite photo of my grandss on their wedding day, she was about 17 and he was about 20.  I changed the black and white photo to sepia and printed it out on normal printer paper.  I then inked the edges with vintage photo ink and mounted the photo on vanilla and brown cardstock.  Making sure to seal it all with Modge Podge.

I spent 20 minutes looking for my wood Scrabble pieces.  They had fallen behind behind some boxes.  Lucky for me I found them and all the letters to spell out REMEMBER.  I inked the edges with Walnut to soften the blocks.  Adding the gears in grunge and embossing the metalic to creat this accent.  Mt grandpa was a commercial fisherman so the big gold gear reminds me of his nautical past.

I kept some tissue from a recent purchase and created this pretty tissue flower.  I layered 10 4x4 sheets of the tissue, fan fold about every 1/4" then staple the center to hold the folds.  Then I cut the edges round and started seperating the layers and fluffing to make it a flower.  To accent the center I added this brass metal button.  The key and lock we still drying. 

My Mom was a Daddy's girl, so I printed again on the printer paper his photo when he was on his boat.  Then layered to create a frame.  Using the SU Photo Corners punch, I embossed them and coated them in Glossy Accents.  They shine! To help hold the photo in place I added some brads.

Aren't these vintage frames pretty!  What a pop they add.  I simply printed "MOTHER" and "FATHER" and layered them in the frame.  Once I popped them in place with the brads I coated in the Glossy Accents.

Together with the photo's it's a pretty reminder of my Mom's parents.

I love my letter dies so I can create words on this grundge board.

The font is a 1940's type font and one of my favorites.

The On the Edge Distressed Doily is a perfect match my my grandparents 1940's wedding photo!

I picked up this heavy metal clip with the word REMEMBER on it.  And a stamped tag CELEBRATE from Scrappy Moms Stamps set Mini Messages.

Thanks for popping in and taking a look.  It is so strange my grandparents are gone now.  But my Mom will have this for her home where she will see it everyday!

 
Photobucket

Comments

  1. What a lovely thing to do and the memories it will hold for your mum and for you.. Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful...amazing job! Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Nicole this is stunning.
    Love all the special touches without looking overcrowded.
    I love that the focus is on the photo and each embellishment is so personal.
    Just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful canvas for your mother. It is sad when you lose someone close to you. I am sorry for your loss. I am sure your mom will put that canvas up in her house and have some great memories of her parents! :) Sending you some hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful tribute, you did a beautiful job on it, lovely photo :)
    Your Grandmother would be proud of this, hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful keepsake for your Mother, Nicole. I think you may have found a new area of expertise for yourself also! Gorgeous canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole, I'm so sorry for your loss. This canvas is a stunning memorial to your grandparents! There are so many beautiful things on here! The tissue flower with the lock and key are awesome...the way you made those photo corners with the glossy accents makes them look just like the Tim Holtz metal photo corners! I love how you inked the edges of the pictures, and the lace doilies framing the whole canvas is a brilliant addition to complete the whole vintage look! I just love it! I'm definitely pinning this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole, this is the most amazing gift of Love dedicated to Mom and Dad. I am so thankful that you have this talent to create such a keepsake. Everytime I look at this beautiful canvas I will Remember...and as time goes on the tears will begin to be replaced by smiles and memories of 2 wonderful people who blessed my life. I am so thankful to have you, Nicole in my life...love always...Mom...xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My Goodness - this is amazing - what a way to remember and keep the memories alive. I am truly sorry for your loss. Regards. Karon

    http://karonskraftykorner.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh, this is a treasure!! What a gorgeous, gorgeous way to express your heartfelt sympathy to your mother. I'm sure she will absolutely cherish this!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicole,

    I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother!!! :(

    But what an AMAZING creation!!!!!!!!! All of your many details are exquisite! Your mother must love it!

    Thank you for taking the time to share,

    Jennifer
    partridgelu at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for stopping by.

Popular Posts